Saturday, June 16, 2012

Congratulations Jio

There's something so inspiring, so profound, so emotional about graduations ("emotional" being the key word). I'm writing this blog as I sit at my brother, Jiovanni's high school graduation. I intended to sit in my bottom floor seat thinking about my life, my to-do list, my high school years. But, once Jiovanni and his fellow seniors began processing into the auditorium of El Camino College tears began rolling down the eyes of the woman seated behind me, and I found myself in a state of joy so powerful, I could feel tears forming in my eyes as well.

Jiovanni is technically my step-brother. He's an amazing young man. He's polite. He's courteous. He's loving, caring, and more intelligent than he believes he is. He's your average teenager in that he keeps to himself, doesn't like to answer questions in full sentences, and prefers to be with and talk to his friends over his family most of the time. But what makes him different than most teenagers is this: if given the opportunity and shown enough love and support, he'll help change the world in a powerful way through pursuing whatever he's passionate about.

Jio (as he's known to family) is extremely excited today. I've never seen him smile so much and for so long. Everyone he truly loves is here to celebrate this day with him. I'm honored to be included in that group. As a "step-sister," you never know if you'll be accepted as family. Thanks to my step-mother, Jio always has.

As a former teacher, I can only imagine how excited the faculty feels right now. As a college grad, I can only imagine the excitement today's graduating class has. And, as the sister of today's most amazing graduate (in my opinion, of course) I can only imagine how proud and how joyful every parent in the auditorium; especially my father and step-mother, are.

Students are walking across stage accepting their diplomas at this point in my blog. I get the chills thinking about Jio about to accept his. Although I can't wait for Jio's college graduation, I'm proud to see him walk across the stage now. He worked hard
this year juggling school and basketball (and his first relationship).

Interestingly, I almost didn't make it to today's graduation. Well, I should say "I" thought I wasn't going to make it. It became crystal clear to me about an hour ago God had planned for me to here all along. I'm glad he did.

Congratulations Jio. Thank you for letting me feel as proud as everyone else today. May this be the beginning of many great things to come.


2 comments:

  1. WOW Deanna! As I sat here looking on facebook, I came across this beautiful note to your brother. Tears came rushing down my face as I read it, thinking how lucky we are to have such a beautiful and pure individual such as yourself, in our lives. I honestly feel, it's not because of your dad and me, that brought you along, but for you and Jio to be together. The love and togetherness you brought to the table is unreal and I can't thank God enough for your heart and mind. Deanna, you are a Miracle and I thank you for accepting us. You are the chosen one (child). I love you with all of my heart. Momma Jena

    ReplyDelete